This hearty, but lean recipe bursts with flavor from our pastured pork Italian sausage and classic Italian herbs. Try pairing this soup with crusty bread for a filling meal.
1 package of pastured pork hot or mild Italian sausage, depending on your preference
1 lb. package of pastured chicken breast, diced in large chunks
1 onion, diced
1 teaspoon of olive oil
½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes, adjust to taste if desired
3 carrots peeled and sliced
1 large sweet potato, cut into 1 inch cubes
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cans of Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
14 oz of crushed or diced tomatoes
2 large sprigs of fresh rosemary
2 sprigs of fresh oregano
1 sprig of fresh thyme
2 cups of chicken stock
1 lemon, zested and juiced
6 large kale leaves, rinsed, spines removed and torn into bite-size chunks
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large Dutch oven, sauté the onions and red pepper flakes in olive oil on medium heat, adding in the pork sausage when the onions begin to become semi-transparent.
- When the sausage is just barely cooked through, but not browned, add in the chicken, cooking lightly on all sides. Set the chicken aside to avoid overcooking it.
- Add in the carrots, sweet potatoes, garlic, and herbs, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, lemon juice and zest, and chicken stock. Allow the mixture to come to a low boil, then add in the chicken and reduce to low.
- Allow the mixture to simmer, covered, for at least 20 minutes, but up to 2 hours, until the beans are soft and the soup has thickened. The chicken should be fork tender.
- Just before serving, stir in the kale, and allow it to cook until the kale wilts.
- Remove the stems of the herbs and taste, if needed, add salt and pepper to achieve desired taste.