Stuffing or dressing is one of the essential Thanksgiving recipes, without which your dinner cannot be complete. This stuffing recipe bursts with traditional, bold Thanksgiving flavors and is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Our Pastured Pork Country Sage Sausage is the perfect complement to this dish, adding bold flavors of sage that will pair perfectly with your pastured Thanksgiving turkey.
Thanksgiving Sage Sausage Stuffing
4 cups of whole wheat bread, slightly stale or oven dried
2 cups of white bread, slightly stale or oven dried
2 tablespoons of butter
1 ½ cups of onion, finely diced
4 celery stalks, diced
1 lb. of Pastured Pork Country Sage Sausage (thawed)
1 tablespoon of fresh sage
1 teaspoon of fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon of fresh thyme
1 teaspoon of garlic salt
Black pepper to taste
1 ¼ cups of dried cranberries
2 apples, cored and diced with skin on
4-5 tablespoons of butter, melted
1 cup of chicken stock
- Oven dry the bread by tearing the slices into bite-sized pieces and cooking them at 200 degrees for about an hour, stirring occasionally. They should be slightly crunchy throughout but not completely dry.
- Preheat the oven to 350 and lightly grease a ceramic 9x13 baking dish.
- Cook the onions and celery in 2 teaspoons of butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven on medium heat until they are soft and translucent.
- Add the sausage, breaking it up as it cooks into small, crumbled pieces. Cook the sausage completely.
- Add the spices and herbs, finely minced.
- Add the apples and cranberries and melted butter, stirring thoroughly.
- Add in the chicken stock.
- Add half the dried, mixed bread pieces to the baking dish, then spoon approximately half of the sausage mixture into the dish, stirring thoroughly.
- Add the rest of the bread to the dish, then pour the remaining sausage mixture over the top, ensuring the bread is moistened evenly and stirring lightly.
- Cover the stuffing with foil, then bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, lightly stirring once.
- Remove the foil and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.