This mild, savory chicken chili is a crowd pleaser, sure to delight. As the weather cools, this lean, nutritious meal will become one of your favorites.
1-2 lbs. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, in one-inch chunks
1 diced onion
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/3 cup of diced green chilies or substitute one 4 oz can
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
2 cups of chicken stock
2 cans of great northern beans or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of sweet, yellow corn, drained
- Lightly sauté the chicken, onion, and chilies, in the olive oil in a Dutch oven until the onions are translucent. When the onions are close to translucent, add in the garlic to avoid burning it. The chicken will continue cooking in the broth.
- Add in the remaining spices and the chicken stock and allow the mixture to come to a simmer.
- In a food processor, blender, or by using a potato masher, mash half of the beans into a rough paste. This will help the chili develop a thicker texture.
- Stir in the mashed beans, then add the whole beans and the corn. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Allow the chili to simmer on medium-low heat for 20-35 minutes until the chicken is fork tender and the beans have a soft texture.
- Taste the chili and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Serve topped with any combination of tortilla chips, cheese, diced avocado, sour cream, and hot sauce.